Skip to main content

Hello. I wanted to know which online courses do you recommend me to take for preparation of the PTCB test?and which books for individual study?

Where am I?

In PTCB Community you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Christopher S. Moore
Christopher S. Moore

There is a ton of free online content that have practice questions and the like if you search a bit.  I would highly recommend the book: Mosby's Review For The P.T.C.E.

Also, P.T.C.B. offers practice exams (currently discounted) and outlines the P.T.C.E. content:

https://www.ptcb.org/guidebook/ptce-content-outline#content-outline

https://www.ptcb.org/official-ptcb-practice-tools

Joyce Hasselbacher
Joyce Hasselbacher

I just took my ptce on 10/29/2020, and i passed! I used a few different study tools, but i paid for a online course at https://pharmacytechscholar.com/how-it-works/

I feel like it helped me alot. The instructor (Aaron) is great! He will answer your questions via email very quickly. I am sure he would also call you if you need help. I thought he was very helpful and easy to get in touch with. He also has 30 min question and answer sessions via zoom that you can rsvp for in advance. 

Pharmacytechscholar is a fairly new ptcb recognized online course, but it is growing very quickly. I know so far the course has had 100% success rate. For me, it really helped me with the math and top 200 drugs. Aaron has a great formula that he promotes for solving almost all math problems. Without learning the formula he uses, i am not sure if i would have passed. I really struggled learning the math stuff, and there was just something about the way Aaron solves proportions that finally clicked with me and made it easier to understand. Dont get me wrong, i SPENT ALOT OF TIME, pausing and starting the math module video. A hour long video, took me days to finally get through, because i kept stopping the video, and practicing each math problem, while taking notes too. But it helped me alot to stick with the math practice. 

Also each module has very good practice tests that i kept going back and re-taking just to see how good i did on them after moving on to a new module. Revisiting the course quizzes, kept the info fresh in my head. Because sometimes i felt like i was forgetting stuff that i learned early on, because it had been awhile. 

If you have questions about the pharmacytechscholar course before paying for it, Aaron will answer any questions you have about it before you pay for the course. The course is $249 right now, but its typically $499. You can complete it as fast or as slow as you like. 

There is also a fb page that you can check out.

I hope this helps you some. Also, if you need any good suggestions for apps to use or study tools i am willing to share what helped me. 

Marjan Ashrafzadeh
Marjan Ashrafzadeh

Thanks so much Jocye! Would you please let me know which books did you read?

Joyce Hasselbacher
Joyce Hasselbacher

Marjan, in all honesty i spent entirely to my much time stressing over what book to study from. One of the pharmacists i work with brought me a big box of pharmacy tech books to study from. Once i went through that box of books then i became overwhelmed trying to decide which book to use. It was to many to choose from. Plus i wasn't sure if any of those books were current, since the ptce changed for 2020. So i decided i was going to ask around on a couple of the pharmacy tech groups i joined through fb and reddit. I was also using youtube videos to study from, and lots of them leave links in the description of study tools they recommend.

After asking around and seeing different recommendations for books i realized there were TWO books that people suggested more than any other books. One of them was the Mosbys book that Wesam suggested in this thread. The other one was the one i ended up ordering called The Pharmacy Technician, SIXTH EDITION. Its published by the American Pharmacists Association, and it is a brand new edition for the 2020 ptce. I also decided to buy it, after comparing the reviews between it and Mosbys. I am sure both books are good enough, but there was something about the reviews for The Pharmacy Technician that made me go with it. BUT I HONESTLY DO NOT THINK IT'S NECESSARY TO USE A BIG THICK COMPREHENSIVE BOOK. 

After, i spent around $80 for the book i NEVER DID USE IT. I really wished i hadn't spent the money on it. To me there is just to much info in those books, and they are better suited if someone is taking a pharmacy tech college course, with the help of a real live instructor. I tried to study from it, but it would have taken me forever to get through all the info they cover in those books. It was making me to overwhelmed also. Plus it was slowing me down with trying to study because its impossible to study everything in a big text book. Everything i tried to learn from it, just was not sinking in! I was learning better from apps, youtube videos, and practice quizzes. I was trying to learn everything i could in about 8 weeks. So, for me the big text books just aren't a good learning tool. I felt like that stuff is so in depth that i would get bored trying to read it, and when something becomes uninteresting to me, i tend to forget it the second i walk away from it.

Maybe you will benefit better from a textbook then i. Everyone is different. But if you do purchase a book, there is one that i seen recommended ALOT, that is NOT A BIG THICK TEXTBOOK. There were a few times through my studying that i wished i had that other book that people studying recommended ALOT...I cant think of the name of it off the top of my head. But its on Amazon, and it's way cheaper than the textbooks people think they need. I can find the name of it for you by browsing Amazon. Once i see the name of it, i will recognize it. I think that book has several practice quizzes, and it sticks more with the basics, which is exactly what is more important on the ptce. I really feel that if you do sign up for a online course, along with using a few apps to get info from a few different sources, is sufficient for passing the test.

Sorry this is so long. I just noticed that you emailed me. I will put together some links for you, and do my best to to lead you to some good study resources through email. 

Joyce Hasselbacher
Joyce Hasselbacher

Marjan do you use FB messenger or not? I would like for you to PM me so you can send me your email address. I will send you all the apps i used and the study tools i used. Its just to hard through this blog site to explain everything without it getting long. I am on fb, and i dont mind if you friend request me. I would be happy to help you and give you some good tips. I think the most important thing is to stick with the basics. Dont get to hung up on certain subjects and waste to much time because you might skip other information that is more important.

I can tell you that, i really do feel like it helped me more then anything using apps and taking practice quizzes. I actually had a few questions on my test that were the exact same as some questions on the apps i used and the practice exams. Those questions that i had already seen before from the apps, i 100% knew the answer could have made the difference in if i passed or failed. If i had not known the answers without the use of the apps and practice quizzes, i might have not answered the questions correctly. One right or wrong answer could be the difference in a pass/fail grade..

I am willing to share with you what i can. I paid for a couple apps that are still valid for a couple months, until the subscription expires. I dont need to use it now, but i would be glad to somehow let you log in and use it if you want. I actually have a couple resources, that i would just as soon someone else get some use from until my subscriptions expires. 

The email i seen from you, is from this blog just telling me that u replied to this post. I thought somehow you were able to personally email me. lol. I was going to compose you a list of my study tools but it would be better to talk through PM or email. My email address is twohassles43@gmail.com if you would like me to send you the things that helped me pass.

I really didn't think i was going to pass. Because i got in a time crunch and just didn't feel like i studied long enough. But i did pass, and i really feel like its because i studied using the right tools. I maybe spent 5 or 6 weeks total studying. Also i was very worried about even knowing HOW TO STUDY anymore, since i am 58 yrs old and its been MANY YEARS since i was in school and had to study stuff like what's on the ptce. I never even learned Algebra when i was a kid..If i learned how to do the math stuff, then anyone can! I realized while preparing for the ptce, that as we get older our memory really isn't as sharp as it used to be..If i can pass, anyone can. They just have to study correctly.  

Also i figured out what book it was on amazon that i seen so many people recommend more so then a big fat comprehensive textbook that costs quite a bit of money. If i had to do it all over again i wish i would not have bought the comprehensive book. But i would buy this one if i had to do it again. I think this book has helped plenty of people pass the ptce as much as any other book. I see it recommended all the time. Plus its very affordable. However i can help, i will be happy to. I work nights, so sometimes i have strange hours. But i will try to keep a eye on my email. When is your exam? Alot of the questions on one of the apps i used came from the Mosby book. I really dont think you need that type of book, especially with apps available and so many online study tools. Here is the book that i see recommended alot which is very affordable. 

It has very good reviews and only around $18. https://www.amazon.com/PTCE-Online-Test-Technician-Certification/dp/1438011814/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Wesam Samour
Wesam Samour

Mosby's book is known for how brief and easy to digest. I believe the 4th edition for the review book is currently available in the market.   

Darlene Devitio
Darlene Devitio

Does anyone recommend buy the flash cards?

Christopher S. Moore
Christopher S. Moore

If using flash-cards is a method of learning that works for you in aiding memorization (such as with brand/generic medications), then yes.