Skip to main content
Question
Asked a question last year

Has anybody here worked at a mail order pharmacy? And if so, would you recommend it over retail?

Where am I?

In PTCB Community you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Christopher S. Moore
Oncology & Inpatient - BS, AS, AA, CPhT-Adv, CSPT, NREMT-R

M.O.P. has the advantage of not requiring face-to-face interaction with patients; for some, that makes a difference.  

I have found the work-load and sheer volume in a M.O.P. to be quite higher than retail, but I suppose that would make a work day go by seemingly faster.

If you are okay with filling and mail-packaging over and over (usually warehouse style), independently processing insurance, plus have excellent customer phone-service characteristics, then it would be a good fit.

Personally, I myself would not recommend it over retail as the work is more repetitious and a lack of satisfaction from the disconnect.  Finally, while you can absolutely learn a lot from a M.O.P. pharmacist, I feel that a technician would have a more impactful “discere ad dominum pedes” experience at a retail pharmacy, learning from observing pharmacist-patient interaction and the medications’ details that arise.