Skip to main content
Question
Asked a question 9 months ago

How do those feel that are not receiving “Hero” pay feel? My current job does not offer or give an additional pay for working. I work hospital setting and go to COVID units everyday. Any ideas on how to go about pitching increased pay for working in this hazardous conditions?

Where am I?

In PTCB Community you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Christopher S. Moore
Oncology & Inpatient - BS, AS, AA, CPhT-Adv, CSPT, NREMT-R

I am more in-line of thinking with Mr. Brian Murray when it comes to tackling this topic.  All in all, for a few reasons, I mostly feel indifferent in relation to hero or hazardous pay for healthcare workers; I am simply grateful to be employed and for all that my employer-organization has done to help protect myself, my fellow co-workers, and our patients.  Should pharmacy technicians be paid more on the whole?  I believe so.  Would it be nice to be paid more for working in pandemic times?  Certainly.  Is hero/hazardous pay warranted because one particular virus (out of many known to exist in which healthcare handles as is part of the nature of its mission) is currently more contagious and/or virulent?  Perhaps, maybe; I am not sure.  One could argue the point either way with some merit.  For example, military members serving in combat zones receive such a type of pay, but that is because they are physically located in such dangerous zones while others are, basically, at zero risk.  Healthcare workers, to a degree, can be said of the same as they could be (or are) working in hot-zones, but the risk and danger of infection is present for basically every person, not only healthcare workers (who can be generally be agreed upon may have a higher risk than some as they would work around or in a concentrated area).

There is also the legal matter in that no employer is obliged to offer hazardous pay; although it can be a great incentive for hiring or retaining employees.  You can certainly ask for it; although without any real argument behind it other than it is deserved, I feel that that venture will fail more often than not.  If your hospital pays hazardous or extra pay to nurses or other staff types for working in hot-zone areas, you could certainly use that as a point; but it too could be used against your position if they do not.

For the subject of pitching for increased pay; I would approach it with a more inclusive perspective, beyond but maybe too including working in hazardous conditions, in that I would write up reasoning with facts in why I and/or my fellow staff deserve a current raise; linking my own at-work efforts, with my educational and certification pursuits, to the successful and safe outcome of care for my hospital's patients.  Having done some homework in what truly makes you essential and effective, turned into a laid-out sheet of facts and numbers, can be helpful in persuading from your position.  In-person meetings are traditionally the best for such topics, but you can too write up and submit a formal request (depends on employer to employer).

https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/pay-salary/guide-how-to-ask-for-a-raise53

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/sample-letter-requesting-a-pay-raise-206277720