Skip to main content
Question
Asked a question last year

I have been trying to get hired at a hospital for years now to get that experience but they all want someone with at least a year experience already. I only have a month experience from my externship (years ago). Has anyone else ran into this problem?

Where am I?

In PTCB Community you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Richard Colas
Inpatient Pharmacy Technician

I accepted an agency who connected me to a hospital setting. After 6 months, I applied for the job, got interviewed and hired. I’m enjoying the benefits of a full time employee now with double pay compared when I was in the retail industry. 

Mark Murray
Inpatient Pharmacy Technician

I think this varies greatly from hospital to hospital and within different healthcare systems.  I'm not sure what state you're working in, but might be worth branching out among different systems to see what their requirements are.  It also couldn't hurt to apply anyway, depending on the job market in your area, you may be able to 'WOW' them enough in an interview for them to give you a shot!  GOOD LUCK!  :)

Morgan Davis
Pharmacy Automation Technician

If the hospital has an outpatient (retail) pharmacy, that might be a good way to get your foot in the door then make the move to inpatient after you are established with the organization. 

Retail experience is also a big help in Med Rec or Med History positions.