Skip to main content
Question
Ronda Long
Certified Pharmacy Technician II
Asked a question 11 months ago

My state is removing restrictions so that Pharmacy Technicians will be allowed to administer vaccines (because of the anticipated huge need for all-hands-on-deck for Covid19 vaccine administration). Does anyone have professional liability insurance? If so, any recommendations? (I feel like I should have this). I work in a hospital.

Where am I?

In PTCB Community you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Christopher S. Moore
Oncology & Inpatient - BS, AS, AA, CPhT-Adv, CSPT, NREMT-R

Generally, my experience is that technicians do not carry such insurance as your license is in function under the pharmacist's license whose practice is, often, covered by the institution's (hospital/chain/etc.) insurance which typically covers non-intentional incidents.  I do know of some pharmacists that carry such insurance, but no technicians, which is also due to the existence in law of "respondeat superior" or "let the master answer."

That being said, there is no reason why you can not have such insurance, but you should weigh the balance of the likely-hood of a viable and potential lawsuit specifically targeting only a technician, and not a pharmacist or hospital, and too the cost of the insurance itself against the coverage your hospital may already provide for you in such a scenario.  I would suggest to check with your manager / safety director / H.R. about such coverage that may or may not already exist.