Skip to main content
Question
Nathale Grier
Senior Certified Pharmacy Tech CPHT
Asked a question last year

Pharmacy Tech are the back Bone of the pharmacy, why are we always treated less, over worked and under paid. Especially in retail pharmacies.

This is a feedback question! You can provide multiple answers.

Where am I?

In PTCB Community you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

In retail settings, pharmacy technicians are paid only a dollar more from minimum wage. In Los Angeles county minimum wage is currently $15.  How can PTCB and Board of Pharmacy improve pharmacy technicians' current situation?  PTCB should also help us with California Board of Pharmacy to lower our fee when renewing our licenses.  Currently it is $140 while Nevada charges $50.

Christopher S. Moore
Oncology & Inpatient - BS, AS, AA, CPhT-Adv, CSPT, NREMT-R

Pharmacy Technicians are absolutely an essential part of the pharmacy team.  It is because of us technicians that the work gets done.

Feeling over-worked and under-appreciated can be a common occurrence.  If a pharmacist or some other staff member is 'treating a technician less,' then that person should certainly be brought into inquiry and resolution as it is never appropriate behavior under any circumstances regardless of status and/or profession.  That being said, I have not yet experienced a pharmacist or pharmacy manager behaving this way or looking-down upon the very technicians that make the magic happen.  I find that most pharmacy and medical professionals have a level-amount of respect for other team members, even if they may not always know exactly what it is we do.  Being over-worked is almost a universal sensation in pharmacies and too the medical field as a whole, particularly in a national economy where financial resources are stretched.

As for being under-paid; I agree that this is an issue in our profession, and too, particularly in retail pharmacies.  This issue, I believe, is linked to the regulations and educational requirements of entering into our profession, which to be honest and in comparison to other professions such as nursing or radiologists, is not very much.  If additional or higher pay is to be expected, the profession's value has to have some valid merit behind it.  Certification and additional certificates are great, but having the basic educational entry requirements into licensure being increased would be a big step in remedying this issue.  The PTCB changing their exam requirements for an applicant to require educational instruction was an excellent step in the right direction, but there should be more additional educational requirements for licensure to boost the value of our profession.