Skip to main content
Question
Wesam Samour
Rph, BCPS
Asked a question last year

What was your biggest challenge during transitioning into the world of Certified Pharmacy Technicians? How were you able to overcome it? any helpful tools to maintain a healthy mindset in the process?

Where am I?

In PTCB Community you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Christopher S. Moore
Oncology & Inpatient - BS, AS, AA, CPhT-Adv, CSPT, NREMT-R

In school or study, you learn the material.  On the job, you learn how to use that material harmoniously in a flow; a 'work-flow' if you will, with your fellow staff and environment.

Every department or pharmacy has their own stances, policies, and methods for performing essentially the same type of work that similar locations would do.  While a new employee technician, regardless of sum experience, almost always has additional essence to bring and add to the pharmacy, I believe it is important for the new technician to be mindful of the already existing flows/positions and adapt their knowledge-base/skills/experience to the pharmacy's ways first, long before trying to add or change any particular duty or method.

Harmonious time-management with duties and adaptation into a new pharmacy are the two most common transition issues that I have observed.  The most significant tools, I believe, are internal ones with attitude and imitate-observation.  Having a positive and receptive attitude is half the battle done, where a mind is not just open, but ready to be receptive to a new environment and all its new information (and its staff too).  Initially, giving due attention to observation and imitation of your trainers, I believe technicians will find themselves more happily successful as they display to their fellow technicians and pharmacists that they not only do work, but they do the work in the fashion and ways that they like it to be done and too in the span of expected time.  For a transitioning technician, showing your new staff that you can be mindful, receptive, and accommodating will go a long way to having the staff be open and receptive in turn later on.